Louisiana was the first state in the U.S. to offer sales tax refunds to international visitors. This means International visitors to the state of Louisiana are finding a shopping paradise in Louisiana – providing a sales tax refund for international shoppers on purchases made at nearly 900 tax free stores.
Not to be confused with “duty free” shops at international departure terminals in airports, “Louisiana Tax Free Shopping” is available at well known retail stores such as Saks Fifth Avenue, Best Buy, Macy’s, J.C. Penney, Gucci, The Gap, Sears, Wal-Mart, Sam’s Club, Coach, etc. Tax Free stores also include manufacturer outlets, other department stores, jewelry stores, art and antique stores, computers and electrical appliances, as well as hundreds of smaller specialty shops throughout the state. Most of the major shopping centers in the New Orleans and Baton Rouge area are tax-free zones.
The sales tax refund is provided on tangible items purchased at tax-free stores and permanently removed from the United States. There is no refund for sales taxes paid for personal services, such as: hotels, restaurants, entertainment and transportation. Visit www.louisianataxfree.com for more information.
|Instructions for Tax Free Shopping|
- Shop at participating LTFS stores.
- Present a photo ID at the time of purchase to receive a tax refund voucher.
- Bring your passport, airline ticket, vouchers,and receipts to the refund center.
|Refund Centers |
- Louis Armstrong New Orleans International Airport
- Riverwalk Marketplace, New Orleans
- Macy’s Lakeside Shopping Center, Metairie
- Macy’s Mall of Louisiana, Baton Rouge
- Capital One Bank, Lafayette
- Capital One Bank, Shreveport