Centenary State Historic Site (East College and Pine Street in Jackson) - This is the former site of Centenary College. Visitors may tour the old West Wing dormitory or a professor's cottage and learn about the history of education in Louisiana. A Confederate cemetery is located on the grounds.
Locust Grove State Historic Site (4 miles northeast of St. Francisville on LA 10) - Visit the gravesites of Sarah Knox Taylor, wife of Jefferson Davis, and General Eleazor Ripley, distinguished soldier in the War of 1812.
Port Hudson State Historic Site (US 61, 30 minutes north of Baton Rouge) - This 909-acre site encompasses part of the Port Hudson Battlefield Civil War Site. Featured are six miles of hiking trails, 1-1/2 miles of trenches, a museum and interpretive programs. Fort Desperate, a primary Confederate position, is accessible by a concrete walkway and elevated wooden boardwalks.
Rosedown Plantation State Historic Site (In St. Francisville on La. Hwy. 10) - Built during the 1830s, Rosedown had one of the largest private gardens in the U.S. in the 19th century. In addition to the gardens and many original structures, visitors can see many furnishings and items that the Turnbulls themselves brought into the main house.
Historic Town of St. Francisville (North of Baton Rouge on US 61) - The Historic District includes 140 structures encompassing churches, antebellum homes, townhomes, cemeteries, and dozens of antique and gift shops.
Cat Island National Wildlife Refuge (Hwy. 66, St. Francisville) - This nearly 10-thousand-acre refuge and recreation facility features birding, hiking and the state's largest cypress tree east of the Sierra Nevada mountains.
Mary Brown Nature Preserve (3 miles of the park on Hwy. 965) - Set in the rolling hills of the Felicianas, this 110-acre is open by appointment only (phone: 225-338-1040). A series of trails have been constructed with 10 special stops to view numerous bird habitats.
Historic Town of Jackson (East of St. Francisville on LA 10) - The Historic District covers two-thirds of the town and features more than 120 structures including banks, shops, homes, churches and warehouses.