Sunset Report

Strategic Plan
2016-17 through 2021-22


Did you know?

Frequently Asked Questions

What is supplied at the cabins and lodges?
Basic cookware, cooking utensils, dinnerware, silverware, towels and linens are provided. Bring your own food and personal supplies. Group Camp visitors will need to bring their own towels and linens.

What discounts are available to Louisiana State Parks visitors?
Louisiana State Parks' $80 Annual Park Pass is valid for day use at all sites and can be purchased at any state park, for twelve months from the date of purchase. All people accompanying a permit holder as occupants in a single, private non-commerical vehicle in which the permit holder is a passenger or driver are provided for in the Annual Pass admission.

For senior discounts on day-use entry to State Parks and Historic Sites, a driver's license is sufficient.

Golden Age and Golden Access Passports are now called the America the Beautiful - National Parks and Federal Recreational Lands Senior and Access Passes, and are issued by the U.S. Geological Survey/Dept. of the Interior. More information can be found at http://store.usgs.gov/pass/. Visitors who hold an America the Beautiful Pass (or already have a Golden Age/Golden Access Passport) and whose home State Park system honor the America the Beautiful passes for overnight discounts, are entitled to a 50% reduction on camping fees at Louisiana State Parks. (Passport holders are allowed one site per passport).

Senior Pass Discount
Access Pass Discount


How can I make online reservations?
Click on the Louisiana State Parks RESERVATIONS graphic on each park's webpage and on the "Reservations" page, or click HERE.


How far in advance can I make a reservation?
Reservations can be made 11 months to the day in advance ONLINE or by calling the reservation center at 877-226-7652.

If this month is:11 months later is:

If it is September 11, 2009, then the reservation arrival date cannot be later than August 11, 2010.

For example: A reservation can be made on Friday September 11, 2009 with an arrival date of Wednesday August 11, 2010 and a departure date as late as Wednesday August 25, 2010, for a maximum of 14 consecutive nights.

The Reservation Center is closed Saturdays, Sundays and all State holidays. Since reservations cannot be made more than 11 months to the day in advance, then you would need to wait until the next business day to make those reservations through the Reservation Center.

For Example: The first opportunity to make a reservation with an arrival date of Friday August 13, 2010 would be Monday September 14, 2009, because September 13, 2009 is a Sunday and the Reservation Center would be closed.


Are pets allowed at Louisiana State Parks?
Any pet brought in to a State Park must be on a leash (not to exceed 6 feet in length), or caged or crated. Pets are not permitted within buildings or other enclosed structures on site. Only seeing-eye dogs are permitted in overnight facilities or near swimming areas. Pet owners are responsible for any injury or damage caused by their pets. Dogs and other pets are not allowed to run freely on park property.

Service dogs are allowed in cabins at Louisiana State Parks. We ask that when you make your reservations, you notify the Call Center that you will be bringing a service dog and let them know what breed of dog. With this information, we can notify the staff at the site(s) you will be visiting that your dog is a service dog and not a pet.

Please be advised that you will still be liable for any damages incurred to State Parks buildings by your animal during your visit.


What kinds of activities are there at Louisiana State Parks?
Click here for a list of the activities at our sites.


Which parks offer wireless internet access?

  • Bayou Segnette State Park (Westwego)
  • Chemin-a-Haut State Park (Bastrop)
  • Fairview-Riverside State Park (Madisonville)
  • Fontainebleau State Park (Mandeville)
  • Grand Isle State Park (Grand (Isle)
  • Hodges Gardens State Park (Florien)
  • Jimmie Davis State Park (Chatham)
  • Lake Bistineau State Park (Doyline)
  • Lake Bruin State Park (Newellton)
  • Lake Claiborne State Park (Homer)
  • Lake D'Arbonne State Park (Farmerville)
  • North Toledo Bend State Park (Zwolle)
  • Palmetto Island State Park (Abbeville)
  • Poverty Point Reservoir State Park (Delhi)
  • South Toledo Bend State Park (Anacoco)
  • Tickfaw State Park (Springfield)

The following parks are experiencing difficulties with wireless internet signals. Your patience, as our technical staff work to correct the issues, is appreciated.

  • Bogue Chitto State Park (Franklinton): park-wide outage
  • Chemin-A-Haut State Park (Bastrop): operational only at the Deluxe Cabins
  • Chicot State Park (Ville Platte): satellite failure in the North Campground
  • Hodges Gardens State Park (Florien): intermittent signal
  • Lake Bistineau State Park (Doyline): intermittent signal in the campground
  • Sam Houston Jones State Park (Lake Charles): park-wide outage due to storm damage
  • South Toledo Bend State Park (Anacoco): park-wide outage
  • Tickfaw State Park (Springfield): outage in cabin area, intermittent signal in campground


Do the cabins or lodges at Louisiana State Parks have televisions or radios?
Some parks offer radios with bedside clocks; contact the park directly to confirm. TVs and cable service are available in the deluxe cabins at:

  • Bayou Segnette State Park (Westwego)
  • Bogue Chitto State Park (Franklinton)
  • Chemin-A-Haut State Park (Bastrop)
  • Chicot State Park (Ville Platte)
  • Cypremort Point State Park (Cypremort Point)
  • Fontainebleau State Park (Mandeville)
  • Hodges Gardens State Park (Florien)
  • Jimmie Davis State Park (Chatham)
  • Lake Bistineau State Park (Doyline)
  • Lake Claiborne State Park (Homer)
  • Lake D'Arbonne State Park (Farmerville)
  • Lake Fausse Pointe State Park (St. Martinville)
  • North Toledo Bend State Park (Zwolle)
  • Palmetto Island State Park (Abbeville)
  • Poverty Point Reservoir State Park (Delhi)
  • Sam Houston Jones State Park (Lake Charles)
  • South Toledo Bend State Park (Anacoco)
  • Tickfaw State Park (Springfield)


Do visitors to Louisiana State Parks need a fishing license to fish?
All visitors to Louisiana State Parks sites must abide by the policies established by the Louisiana Dept. of Wildlife & Fisheries. Fishing licenses are required for persons age 16 and older; more information is available at WLF's website: www.wlf.Louisiana.govClick here to purchase LDWF Fishing Licenses online!


Which parks offer boat rentals?
Call the park, to confirm what boats are available.

Bogue Chitto SP888-677-7312
Chicot SP888-677-2442
Hodges Gardens SP800-354-3523
Lake Bruin SP888-677-2784
Lake Claiborne SP888-677-2524
Lake D'Arbonne SP888-677-5200
Lake Fausse Pointe SP (canoes)888-677-7200
North Toledo Bend SP888-677-6400
Poverty Point Reservoir SP800-474-0392
Sam Houston Jones SP888-677-7264


What kind of trails are there are Louisiana State Parks sites?
Most sites have "multi-use" trails, meaning they are suitable for hiking, biking or just strolling along enjoying nature.

For the serious trail/mountain biking enthusiast, we usually recommend the bike trails at Chicot State Park near Ville Platte, which has 22 miles of trails (the largest trail in our system, as the trails at the other sites run about 2-5 miles in length). Lake Claiborne State Park and Lake D'Arbonne State Park, in the northern part of the state, also have bike trails available; their hilly terrain would also be enjoyed by serious mountain bikers. Fontainebleau and Fairview-Riverside State Parks, located on the north shore of Lake Ponchartrain, are close to the Tammany Trace, a 31-mile "rails to trails" conversion that goes from Slidell to Abita Springs.

Equestrian trails
Equestrian trails at State Parks sites are open to riders and their own horses. Day-use entrance is $2 per person; overnight campsites can be rented for $18 to $20 per night. Certification of a clean Coggins test is required for all horses brought on State Park property. It is recommended that you call ahead for the status of the trail.

Bogue Chitto State Park (985-839-5707) - A 14-mile trail winds through some of the most interesting topography of southern Louisiana, with gullies and bluffs hosting a variety of wildlife to encounter. The trailhead is located near Fricke's Cave, just inside the park. Bogue Chitto State Park is located off Hwy. 25, about 5 miles south of Franklinton.

Chemin-A-Haut State Park (318-283-0812) - Located 10 miles north of Bastrop in Morehouse Parish, this park has an eight-mile equestrian trail loop. Beginning at the campground where riders can overnight with their horses, the trail goes through a mixed pine and hardwood forest, bottomland cypress flats and along Chemin-A-Haut creek.

Hodges Gardens State Park (318-586-4020) - The White Horse and South Lake Trails, totaling about 15 miles, are open to the public while the rest of the trails are closed due to their proximity to the Foundation timber farming areas. The corral at the former landing strip area is still available, and overnight unimproved campsites are available. Hodges Gardens State Park is located about 25 miles north of Leesville.

Lake Bistineau State Park (318-745-3503) - On the recently-opened equestrian trail at Lake Bistineau State Park, a variety of wildlife can be seen as the trail winds 6.5 miles through pine and hard wood forests and along Bistineau Lake. The relatively flat terrain allows for a relaxed, comfortable ride. Stalls, a paddock and corral are provided free of charge to accommodate horses overnight. Lake Bistineau State Park is located 40 minutes southeast of Shreveport in Webster Parish.

Click here for a chart listing trail information for Louisiana's State Parks and Historic Sites


Can I have my wedding at a Louisiana State Park or Historic Site?
If you wish you use one of the pavilions or meeting room facilities that can be booked through the Reservation System, you may do so by calling 1-877-226-7652 or ONLINE. We ask that you also contact the manager of the site in which you are interested, to determine if there are any requirements specific to that site.

If you are interested in a historic site, the preservation area or a part of a recreational site that is not normally rented through the Reservation System, then arrangements must be made through the site's manager.


Which parks have campsites with sewer hookups?
The parks that offer a selection of campsites with water, electrical and sewer hookups include Bogue Chitto SP, Fontainebleau SP, Poverty Point Reservoir SP and Sam Houston Jones SP.


How can I become a Campground Host, or volunteer at my local state park?
Fill out and return the Application to the Program Coordinator, per the instructions are in the documents. More information about the program can be found here. (PDF documents)


Is ATV usage allowed at Louisiana State Parks?
The only site at which motorized vehicles are allowed to operate off road is South Toledo Bend State Park, near Anacoco. This 12-mile off-highway vehicle (OHV) trail offers 9 loops for riders to enjoy, with varying levels of skill; and is located across La. Hwy. 191 from the main park, keeping the off-road activities separate from our traditional amenities and facilities. Rules and regulations regarding trail use are posted at the trailhead and on South Toledo Bend State Park’s webpage. 

At our other sites, of our trail system paths are designed to accommodate either walkers or cyclists and are located throughout the main usage areas. As a public safety concern, motorized traffic of any kind (ATV, motorcycle or 4-wheel drive vehicle) would pose a distinct safety hazard for the visitors using our trails for hiking or biking. State Parks also serve as nature preservation areas for wildlife, and access to the resource is provided to allow nature observation -- birdwatching, nature photography -- in an undisturbed setting. Off-road, motorized vehicle use in that environment conflicts with our mission as a state agency created to preserve that natural setting.

Public lands are available in the Kisatchie National Forest for ATV use, and possibly for motorcycle use. For more information, call the Kisatchie National Forest Headquarters in Pineville at 318-473-7160. The Dept. of Wildlife and Fisheries also provides four-wheel drive access to state-supervised Wildlife Management Areas on all-weather roads within designated areas, and may also provide off-road motorcycle access to these areas. 


What about electric scooters and golf carts?
Legislation passed during the 2012 Session allows for the usage of golf carts by licensed, insured individuals at Palmetto Island State Park.

At all other Louisiana State Parks properties, persons with mobility disabilities who are using single passenger wheeled devices powered by electric motors shall be allowed wherever and whenever persons on foot are allowed. All rules governing pedestrian travel shall be applied to the person using single passenger wheeled devices powered by electric motors. Please note that not all trail systems will support the use of single passenger wheeled devices powered by electric motors. It is advised that further information on existing trail systems by obtained by the user from the entrance/visitor center of the park facility.

Golf carts, or multiple passenger electric powered wheeled devices are allowed by the visitor to assist in transportation throughout the campground area, but still must remain off public roads. The mobility-impaired person must be in the vehicle at the time of use.

Electric powered wheeled devices that have been registered and licensed by a state’s department of motor vehicles shall have the same access to the interior road system on the properties of the Louisiana Office of State Parks as any other motorized vehicle. All laws and statutes governing the operation of motorized vehicles shall be strictly adhered to by the operators of these electric powered wheeled devices.


Where are the pictures of the cabins and lodges?
The pictures of the overnight facilities are still accessible. Just click on the link to "facility layouts" in the "Reservable Facilities" section of each site's webpage. Or, from the Fees and Facilities page, click on the "Floor Plans and Pictures" link, then choose the site in which you are interested.